It is six in the morning…..a Sunday Morning. I have always lazed on other Sunday mornings but this Sunday morning is totally different. I could not sleep last night….how could I, knowing that the morning will bring along my last day…last to breathe, smell, see, touch and taste?
Today is the last day of my life !! Really? But I have hundred things to do….thousand words to say…. and zillions of moments to discover!! My two treasured possessions, eleven-year old daughter and an extremely handsome loving husband……Will they miss me? Will they remember me?
Whether they miss me or not, I have loads to do before the day ends….yes, things to do, words to say and moments to live!! I decide to write them both individual letters.
My most precious and dear daughter,
I love you a lot even though I keep pointing out your mistakes and tell you a long list of do’s and don’ts. But you see that is what mothers are like…. I point out your mistakes so that no body else can point you out as wrong. I tell you what not to do because I have made those mistakes and I want you spared of heartbreak though I know a person can best learn from mistakes. But I can not bring myself up to see you broken and disheartened…..
To be honest today I might be the one to break your little heart…..you see today is my last day and I won’t be there tomorrow to wake you up for school, cook your favorite cake, dress you up in your favorite gown, style your hair or to tuck you in bed with a big noisy kiss. So whether you hate the rules …the do’s and don’ts, here I am again with some fresh ones….
- I know you will study hard and become somebody important in society one day but DO NOT forget to enjoy the journey to success.
- I know you are compassionate and loving but DO NOT try to make each and everyone happy by suffocating your own happiness. DO NOT bend backwards for anyone to achieve something.
- IGNORE and FORGET those who hurt you…..it may not easy to forgive them but believe me such people are not worth your attention. So forgive too. World is very small….who knows when you might come face to face with those whom you hold grudge against…your anger will only hurt you not them.
- One day you will grow up and fall in love but DO NOT love to give up….commit and nurture your love yet NEVER let anybody abuse your love, faith, honor and respect.
- Making love is the most sacred and wonderful emotion…..casual sex is not. DO NOT indulge in wasting away this precious gift.
- TRAVEL, EXPLORE and widen your horizon. DO NOT let duties bog you down.
- Gossip is good to hear but dangerous to spread because it muddies the rumor-monger too. Listen and keep it to yourself and BE WARY of the person who spreads it and cautious of whom it is about.
I might not be the best example or the best teacher or the best mother there is…..but there is nobody who will be happier than me to see you succeed in all stages of life. So live, love and be happy always.
My dear loving husband,
Today is my last day…..I have been always honest and direct with you even if at times it has led to a big argument. You have been a wonderful, caring and loving partner to me and a wonderful hands-on father too. You are capable of doing everything even if I am not around yet I have few words for you too…
- You have to play my part too now…..BE mild and gentle to our daughter. She will be at a stage when she needs a woman’s ear to offload her growing up concerns….. BE that WOMAN for her. DO NOT let her be on mercy of others.
- Live your life…..
I might not be the best partner and support but my love for you has been true.
And I sit and cry again…..till my tears suffocate me and I feel a heaviness on my chest….I am gasping for breath…. Its only six in morning…..Do I have only this much time!!??………Suddenly a little sleepy hand lazily creeps out of sheets and clutches my thumb and another adult palm sleepily caresses my shoulder. I wake up with a start…
It was all a dream!! Oh! Thank God it was just a dream….I start crying and kissing both of my gems…… They wake up….
“Ummmm….Mamma its Sunday…why did you wake me up today?” says my daughter. My husband is more tuned in… he guesses correctly that I must have seen a bad dream. He folds me up in his arms, pats my head as if I am a little girl and lets me cuddle up resting on his chest…..
Sigh!! I have hundred things to do, a zillion moments to live and thousand words to say TODAY…. but this cozy embrace is to die for!
This post is a part of Write Over the Weekend, an initiative for Indian Bloggers by BlogAdda.
11 thoughts on “The Last Day……”
So glad it was a dream. The best advice to a daughter to be herself in this world and, of course, a letter expressing love to the husband. You must be proud of this superb and creative post:)
Thank you….being appreciated for my writing sure makes me happy…..But the letter was straight from my heart because life is so unpredictable and we don’t know what future holds. I have often thought about mentally preparing my daughter for any unforeseen things but I have never had the courage to write it down because I too am not mentally prepared for this….
that was a touching letter to your daughter! ii realized how the do’s and dont’s that my mother keep saying, isnt something to be brushed off as trivial! thank you 🙂
All of us during growing up years do not understand the mother’s concerns. Its only after we become a parent that the reality hits. Thanks for reading and understanding …I am sure your mother is proud of you being her daughter.
Thank goodness ……. It was just a dream!!
Thank goodness it was only a dream! For a momentI thought I was reading a suicide note. If your posts are this captivating, I can’t wait to read your book! Cheers ~ Shell
Thank you so much….this means a lot.
Well yes you got my attention, anyone could. Hence keep surprizing and writing 🙂
oh God u scared me i thought is it a story or a suicide note but at the end i was relieved… though whatever you said about life is correct. Keep surprizing 🙂
Oh good….so I caught your attention and made you read the entire thing.I should pat myself. …..Thanks for liking this. 🙂